Omar Acosta; versatile musician, with a multidisciplinary career, belongs currently to the Spanish National Ballet (Ballet Nacional de España). He grew in a musical family, with a strong folk tradition. After 15 years of experience in the symphonic music with the Simón Bolívar Symphonic Orchestra and Venezuela Symphonic Orchestra, he dedicated his activity as a classical soloist, with tours, recitals and concerts with several orchestras and chamber music groups.
His compositions have been and are currently interpreted and recorded by renowned flutists, groups and orchestras in diverse stages all over the world and in a great list of international festivals.
As a soloist he has participated in a great amount of festivals, such as:
• Radio France Festival, Montpellier, V and VIII edition.
• Latin American Musical Festival, IV edition and V International Festival of El Hatillo (Venezuela), V and VIII editions.
• Forum of Caribbean Composers (San José de Costa Rica and Venezuela), XXI edition.
• Popular Music Festival Los Sabandeños, Tenerife (1999) y and Flamenco Festival of La Unión (2002).
• Convention of the Spanish Flutists Association (AFE), I, II and III edition, bringing Flamenco music for the very first time to that festival.
He moves to Spain in 1998, collaborating since then with the most remarkable flamenco artists. Besides he is the musical director of his own groups: Omar Acosta Trio and Terra Ensemble that together with his soloist recitals as a flutist, keep him going around the world with an intense artistic activity.
Among his symphonic works can be remarkable to mention the following:
• Symphonic arrangements, with the Arturo Tamayo, of the emblematic work of art Suite Sevilla composed by Rafael Riqueni, original for two guitars, requested by the Spanish National Ballet (2012).
• Concierto para cajón flamenco y orquesta (Concert for cajón flamenco and orchestra), the first to be composed for this instrument. Performed for the first time by the extraordinary percussionist Diego Álvarez “El Negro” and the Simón Bolívar Symphonic Orchestra (Venezuela).
• Suite Flamenca for Flute and String Orchestra (it was performed during the II Convention of the AFE with the String Orchestra “Cordes del Mon” in Barcelona, 2012).
He had made several recordings as a guest musician and five discs as a soloist and with his World Music group Terra Ensemble:
• “SON COMO SON” (Omar Acosta Trio).
• “VENEZOLADA” (Omar Acosta Ensemble).
• “LA REVUELTA” (music for flute and piano of Venezuelan academic composers).
• “SOLA” (Omar Acosta’s music for flute).
• “ENTRE DOS MUNDOS” (Omar Acosta and Terra Ensemble).
• In 2010, as a producer and musical director of the Venezuelan music project Tierra de Gracia Ensemble promoted by the Venezuelan Embassy in Spain, he edited the disc “PAISAJE SONORO DE VENEZUELA”.
As a flutist he had traveled to more than 30 countries, having the chance to play with great international artists in the symphonic field as well as in the Flamenco and dance sphere.
In the symphonic field:
Simón Bolívar Symphonic Orchestra, Venezuela Symphonic Orchestra, Maracaibo Symphonic Orchestra, National Philharmonic Orchestra of Venezuela, Zulia Symphonic Orchestra, El Salvador Symphonic Orchestra, Mérida Symphonic Orchestra, Symphonic Municipal Orchestra of Caracas and the European Symphony Orchestra. He had shared the stage with magnificent artists such as Claudio Arrau, Yo-Yo Ma, Jean Pierre Rampal, Montserrat Caballé among Plácido Domingo, among others.
In the Flamenco and dance sphere:
Spanish National Ballet, Nuevo Ballet Español, “Pura Pasión” (Cristóbal Reyes and Joaquín Cortés), “España Baila Flamenco” and “Cosas del Flamenco” (Cristóbal Reyes). As a flute player and a musical director he has performed with Concha Jareño, Antonio Najarro, Merche Esmeralda, Antonio Márquez, Siudy Garrido, Los Hermanos Vivancos, Curro de Jerez, Antonio Hidalgo, Miguel Cañas, Jesús Pimentel, Carmen “La Talegona”, María Carrasco, Lola Greco, José Porcel, Talegón de Córdoba, Inmaculada Ortega, Eliezer “La Truco”, María Juncal, Tito Losada and Yoko Komatzubara, among others.
As a composer, he wrote a great number of pieces for an uncountable number of groups of popular music, chamber music and choral music (winner of the Award AMADEUS 2008 for choral composition. Cáceres, Spain). He has arranged, performed and conducted in a huge number of dance shows and spactacles customized for TV.
Omar uses flutes from Guo Musical Instrument Company.